Seats are still available. Register today! Use of Force Symposium Registration
The Georgia Public Safety Training Center is hosting a Use of Force Symposium as the first in a series on Contemporary Issues in Policing. Law enforcement officers are being asked to confront the traditional dangers of the job while being held to the highest level of public scrutiny in the history of policing. This symposium will provide law enforcement professionals information they need to navigate the aftermath of a use of force situation.
Director Chris Wigginton and his staff will welcome attendees to the Training Center and provide an overview of new initiatives underway to help advance the conversation on some of the most important issues facing public safety today.
Use of Force Investigations in Georgia: Before and After HB 941
This course focuses on the process and the law surrounding the review of use of force cases, taught from the perspective of two prosecutors. Topics include:
- Laws that pertain to police officers charged with crimes during the course of their duties
- The grand jury process and post-HB 941 rules surrounding both the civil and criminal reviews of these cases
- Applicable statutes and case law
- Discussion of specific Georgia cases
Presented by Danny Porter and Chuck Spahos
After the Smoke Clears: The Aftermath of a Critical Incident
This course prepares attendees to think critically about use of force incidents and to understand the issues affecting law enforcement officers, command staff, and agencies during and after a use of force incident. Topics include:
- The three types of investigations that follow an Officer-Involved Shooting (OIS)
- Obstacles to obtaining accurate statements from LEOs following an OIS
- The long-term effects on LEOs following an OIS
- Methods to prepare all levels of supervision and management to better handle an OIS to protect the LEOs involved
Presented by Lance J. LoRusso, Esq.
Date: Thursday, October 20, 2016
Time: 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Georgia Public Safety Training Center
1000 Indian Springs Drive
Forsyth, GA 31029
POST Credit: 8 Hours