Description of Duties & Responsibilities: Under limited supervision, serves as an instructor for public safety training in advanced or specialized topics. Participates in needs assessment, research, design, and evaluation of statewide public safety training programs. Demonstrates teamwork and high degree of customer service.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to teach, lecture, & conduct practical exercises in a safe, clear, concise & easily understandable manner.
- Excellent writing and research skills.
- Ability to perform research using a variety of mediums & be able to develop lesson plans & reference material.
- Ability to obtain position specific instructor certifications within time frame.
- Application of exemplary skill and knowledge in law enforcement topics.
- Possess strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be organized, detail oriented and possess problem-solving abilities.
- Working knowledge of PC applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email, internet.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional growth and development.
- Ability to do Push Ups – 25 (full body) in less than 1 minute (PT Test will be administered).
- Ability to do Sit Ups – 30 In one minute. (PT Test will be administered).
- Ability to Bench Press – 75% body weight. (PT Test will be administered).
- Ability to do a 1.5 mile run – 16 minutes or less. (PT Test will be administered).
Minimum Qualifications: Eighteen months of work experience as an instructor providing training development and delivery in various law enforcement associated areas which include a physical training related topic such as defensive tactics, hand to hand combat, etc.
Preferred Qualifications: Preference may be given to those applicants who, in addition to meeting the minimum training and experience requirements, possess one or more of the following:
- Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Basic Law Enforcement certification;
- Minimum of four years recent law enforcement work experience;
- Georgia P.O.S.T. General Instructor certification;
- Georgia P.O.S.T. Defensive Tactics Instructor certification;
- Specialization in an advanced subject area applicable to defensive tactics;
Specialty certifications in area of position assignment, i.e. combat training, tactical operations, baton, self-defense, health & wellness, etc.
Click here for application instructions: PS Trainer 3, Police Academy, Physical Training